After the flood situation worsened in Bihar, the Meteorological Department has issued a yellow alert there. The Meteorological Department, apart from this alert, issues other alerts such as Red Alert, Orange Alert, and Green Alert. Colors are chosen in association with many agencies to warn. These alerts are issued based on the intensity of the bad weather. That is, colors change through fierceness. Do you know the meaning of all these weather alerts? If not, then let us know through this video.
In May 2019, a red alert has been issued by the Meteorological Department due to cyclonic storm “Phani”. In this, people living around Andaman have been told to stay in homes and that fishermen should not go fishing in the sea.
Now it is natural to raise the question in mind that how many types of alerts are issued by the Meteorological Department and under which circumstances. Let us know about the alert issued by the Meteorological Department.
Meteorological Department issues Red Alert, Orange Alert, Yellow Alert and Green Alert to give weather alert related warnings. Colors are chosen in association with many agencies to warn. These alerts are issued based on the intensity of the bad weather. That is, colors change through fierceness. A red alert is issued for the most severe cyclone.
Let us know about these Weather alerts in detail
1. Red Alert: Whenever a cyclone comes with high intensity like wind speed with strong rain, 130 km. More than an hour (not just this scale), the Meteorological Department issues a red alert for the areas falling in the range of storms and the administration is asked to take necessary steps.
Red alert means a dangerous situation. The Meteorological Department says that when the weather reaches a dangerous level and there is a risk of heavy damage, a red alert is issued.
This type of alert is announced only when 30 mm. There is a possibility of more rain and it used to be for at least 2 hours. In most cases people living in low-lying areas are taken out because the risk of floods increases manifold due to heavy rains.
2. Orange Alert: The Meteorological Department says that as the weather gets worse, the Yellow Alert is issued by updating the Yellow Alert. This type of warning is issued under the Orange Alert “There is a possibility of severe weather conditions due to this cyclone which can cause damage to road and air transport as well as loss of life and property.
Therefore people are advised to stay in homes. In this type of warning, the speed of wind is about 65 to 75 km. Is hourly and 15 to 33 mm. There is a possibility of heavy rains. In this alert, there is a strong possibility of dangerous flooding in the affected area. In the notification of this type of alert, a plan has to be prepared to get people out of the affected area.
3. Yellow Alert: The Meteorological Department uses Yellow Alert to alert people. It means be alert to danger and not be indifferent. Let us know, this alert is a signal of just watch. 7.5 to 15 mm in this type of Chetwani. There is heavy rain that is likely to continue for the next 1 or 2 hours due to which there is a possibility of flooding. The weather is constantly monitored in this alert.
4. Green Alert: Many times a green alert is issued by the Meteorological Department. This means that there is no danger at the place concerned.
The following precautions should be taken when an alert is declared;
1. In the event of an alert being issued, people should reach their home first and if there is a possibility of a cyclone becoming more dangerous, they should go to safe places made by the government.
2. Keep listening for your portable radio to know the progress of the cyclone
3. Turn off the home lights and the gas connection
4. Ensure that pets are safely sheltered
5. Immediately go to the strongest, safest part of your home (internal hallway, bathroom or toilet) or the nearest wellness center
6. Keep away from doors and windows and keep them closed
7. Keep your emergency kit with you
It is thus clear that the main motto of the government and other agencies behind issuing this type of warning is to reduce the loss of life and property from any cyclone and this type of information proves really helpful to the people.